Thursday, April 30, 2009

A fork in the road

The Mets have been terrible this season.  They are 9-12.  They have been bad in every way (especially David Wright, the "face of the franchise").  

There are two ways I could react to this.  I could pound on the negative.  I could obsess over how they have started a trend over the last two seasons of being a bunch of choke artists.  I could write them off, and I could write off the whole season.  

(It'd be easier if this was a financially blue collar team.  But we know that's bullshit.) 

Or, I could recognize that being a Mets fan is about being able to endure pain.  I could realize that the money spent is basically irrelevant.  These are the Mets.  

I could recognize that with the Mets - it is not, and it never was, nor is it ever supposed to be, easy.  Even in 1986 when they dominated the regular season, they had to endure Mike Scott.  They had to endure game 6 against the Red Sox.  They had to endure the brink of elimination.  

I'm tired of this team.  I'm tired of caring about them.  I'm tired of caring about a bunch of millionaires.  

But I love the Mets.  Maybe they really do suck.  Maybe they are a bunch of choke artists.  Maybe they will amount to nothing, and the whole team will be blown up at the end of the year, including David Wright and Jose Reyes.  

But as long as this season is still alive, I don't give a flying fuck.  I love the New York Mets.  Unconditionally.  And until they are mathematically eliminated, I will believe in this season, and I will believe in this team. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! I believe you already wrote them off this season, even betting $100 that they WOULD NOT come back in a game! If that's your idea of unconditional love, I feel sorry for Adrienne.

AC said...

Well that's the point - I've turned over a new leaf.

By the way - Robyn's birthday is coming up in June. Might want to mark your calendar.