Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Uncle

Did all of that really happen in one inning?  Johan walks the pitcher on four pitches, and then Fernando Martinez nearly breaks his face as he trips on the field after misjudging a routine fly ball, and then a walk and a double later, on an 0-2 pitch no less, Braun rips a double that turns into a virtual inside the park homerun because Johan Santana airmailed a throw from home to third... ???????

You can't make this stuff up.  

I could take it if this Mets team were simply not hitting (which they are not, of course).  No one should really expect this depleted lineup to hit much.  But no - they have to add INSULT TO INJURY with all the ridonkulous errors and mental mistakes.  They have to walk Mariano Rivera with the bases loaded.  They have to fall on their faces.  They have to airmail throws that lead to extra runs being scored.  

In April, we saw this team underachieve like we have seen them do so many times... so many times before.  In May they turned in on in a big way, and they did it mostly without Carlos Delgado and Jose Reyes.  

June has been a disaster.  It started out with a sweep at the hands of the Pirates that left a bad taste in your mouth.  Then we won a series against the lowly Nats.  Then we lost four 3-game series in a row, losing 2 of 3 in each of them.  Those were somewhat tolerable, because the lineup was depleted and every freggin game was close.  And then we took 3 of 4 from the Cardinals, AFTER Beltran was placed on the DL.  WOW!  LOOKING GOOD, BOYS!

Then the Yankees came into town, and the bats have been silent since.  5 straight losses.  Yet still only 3 games behind the Phillies.  

I don't really know anymore. 
 
I have a confession to make.  I love watching Nissan Postgame Live and Geico SportsNite on SNY after the game.  LOVE it.  BUT (here's the confession) I can only watch after a win.  I can't watch after a loss.  I don't like the negativity.  I like to forget about losses fast, and I love to revel in every win.  Yet for the first time in quite a while tonight, I found myself effortlessly watching the postgame stuff.  I wasn't even that upset at the loss.  Granted, Philly losing made me feel about 2 percent better.  But the point is - at this point, I'm resigned to the fact that they will most likely lose with the team they are currently putting out there and that any sort of win is like winning the Series.  

Oh well.  

No comments: